400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
27/04/06 06:41 AM
Re: Rimless Cartridges in Doubles?

Yes, with one exception, I would certainly describe the .318 Westley Richards doubles as "nifty". Nice handling, great geometry and, yeah, an absolute blast to shoot.

Long ago, a good friend had Champlin's send down a lovely best quality Westley Richards .318 Droplock on approval. They sent along several five round packs of late run Kynoch ammo to try it out with. As I recall, we had one or two complete failures to extract, and a couple that did extract failed to fully eject. It was a neat little rifle in wonderful condition, but what good is a double that won't reliably extract? Same guy had had another rimless Westley, a boxlock, that wouldn't extract either.

Other makers chambered a handful of doubles for the .318 Westley Richards FLANGED (known as the .322 Swift, this cartridge was identical to the .318 Westley Richards Rimless, except for the rim). There was an article in DGJ some years ago that featured a London Sporting Park hammer double (it was a Webley built PHV-2) in this caliber. This cartridge was available for the asking and Kynoch loaded it. I've never been able to understand why Westley didn't use it in their doubles instead of the rimless. Dumb.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com