RobertD
(.275 member)
07/12/03 08:25 PM
Re: What are the most common calibers in doubles today

Since I posted that first question the other day, I had the opportunity to visit Seracy firearms in Boron, CA. I did get to test fire a couple of his doubles in 500 NE and 470 NE. I linked up with a good friend of mine and did purchase one of his doubles in 500 NE.

Butch Searcy did say some interesting things. First, with respect to ammo here in the USA, everything is available. Maybe not stocked at WalMart, but you can get it mail order from multiple sources and handloading anything is wide open.

Outside of the USA, it can be a bit more difficult. But he did say that the 9.3x74R and the 470 NE are probably the most common and easily obtainable calibers in factory loadings.

I liked Butch Searcy, he is very knowledgeable without being pompus or obnoxious. He is a very easy guy to talk with and is very straight forward.

Interestingly, when I fired his 470 NE and his 500 NE, I believe they have less felt recoil than full power loads in my CZ550 / 416 Rigby or my 458 Win Mag built on a VZ24 Mauser. Yeah, the 500 NE does weigh a touch more, but not much. I think it was the stock design and the fit, but that is only a guess.

This link is his website. Along with pictures and prices, he also has factory ammo for sale and prices are listed there as well.

http://www.searcyent.com/

RobertD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com