hoppdoc
(.400 member)
14/04/06 09:07 PM
Re: SOLID PENETRATION TESTING ARTICLES-HOW MUCH/WH

The Linebaugh testing results were used in wet paper media. That is known for having results which are not reproducible.

Don't believe the Linebaugh stuff against Dangerous Game, it can get you killed.

Here is some info from another thread--

Further confusing testing offered to hunters--
http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh.penetration.tests.asp

I was surfing the net on 470 NE issues and came up with the Linebaugh penetration tests and related articles.These seem particularly misleading in suggesting to all hunters that handguns/less potent firearms can be effective hunting tools on the basis of penetration. It suggests that a 500 Linebaugh pistol,450gr@1300fps is better than a 470NE 500gr@2150. They used bone backed up by wet paper and noted penetration. Wet paper testing is not reproducible in my limited look at penetration testing media.Solids vs softs testing isn't valid in this media either.
It was comforting to note the 600 Nitro blew up the whole test apparatus.

I think many people get misled by penetration=stopping power.Yes a 7x 57 will head shoot,penetrate and kill an Ele but will it stop a charging Ele with a non fatal CNS hit?

I feel it is the proper combination of penetration and applied energy dump into the dangerous game animal to harvest/survive it.The kinetic pulse theory gives the "whack" info and past experience gives bullet type,SD/velocity needed for the penetration to reach the vitals on the toughest hunting shot angles. I personally think you need BOTH unless you never screw up your game shots a bit.

Judgements based solely on artificial medium testing can get you KILLED!! Prior hunting of the beasts is the real/ultimate crucible to see if a particlar firearm makes the grade!!

Personally--
I suggest you rely on the cumulative past performance of those PH's and hunters who have shot thousands of animals in total--Many of the members here have extensive experience(not me!).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com