Judson
(.300 member)
14/04/06 09:48 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

I went back and changed that powder to the H 4831, I was never recomending that load for other then a proof load but your point about a person using that load with the IMR powder and a 465 grain slug is a good one and the results might not be good. For that matter most of the loads listed in that book are rather warm since the standard load for the .450#2 is around 100 grains of either IMR or H 4831 with a 480 grain bullet depenging on your rifle. The IMR powder is a bit faster and will work better in shorter barreled rifles.
Another powder that workes very well in these sive cartridges is RL 15. 88 grains of this stuff will give about the same velosity with a 480 grain bullet as 100 grains of the IMR 4831, yes I mean IMR 4831. However the RL 15 seems to give even lower pressures. One point with ALL these powders you must use some sort of a filler or you can get hang fires. Foam is what I like best as it does not have to be weighed and is easy to use and stays where it is meant to.
Thank you again for bringing up your very well made point and this just goes to show that we should all check the loading books before using a load found in print some other place! If any of you want loading info on this cartridge see if you can get N E 450 No2 to throw in his two cents worth, he has lots of experiance with this cartridge and has been a big help to me. Oh bye the way if I have made that mistake on other pages then page six please let me know where and I will change it, thanks again for pointing it out to me!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com