banzaibird
(.333 member)
08/04/06 03:34 AM
Re: 50-90 Sharps Hammer gun build

Paul,

When relining the pressure is mostly taken by the liner itself. Now if there is a very tight fit between the liner and the outside barrel then the outside barrels would be providing strength as well. That's why I asked about the eccentric bushings. The idea there would be to turn the liners very thin and use the bushing to regulate by turning. The only problem that I see with this is that it lets voids between the 2 barrels. In fact this is my concern with using damascus barrels the way I want to use them. I think it would be very difficult to get a precise fit throughout the length of the shotgon bore and the liner. On top of that I don't really want to glue/epoxy them in place I'd like to solder them and realisticaly it would be about impossible to assure full solder coverage. I'm mostly worried about moisture and the impending rust that could occur in these voids. It would remain unseen until it was much too late.

I too was thinking of a old BP cartridge. Not sure which one but I have several old damascus barreled guns laying around with severly pitted barrels. So thus they are pretty much unusable as shotguns even though they have great patterns.

Bill

Contact Us NitroExpress.com