WildCattle
(.275 member)
31/03/06 03:37 AM
Re: The Best Double Rifle Forum

I agree with all of you guys.
The forum is great and the best I ever saw on the web on any subject.
In reply to Dugaboy, I would say that if Australia has the best vintage double rifle population, Europe and France in particular probably have the highest number of double rifles per hunter.
Due to the explosion of wild boar hunting in the last 20 years, there probably are more doubles than bolt actions in France today. In the village I come from (population 300), there are about 5 or 6 hunters. I believe that 4 of them have at least one double. Bear in mind that they are all blue collar types, and that the price of a vintage double is just way beyond their means, not to mention that vintage guns in France are very rare, as they disappeared one way or tthe other in WWII. So they all have a Chapuis, Demas, Valmet or Merkel (and by the way they are just about 2/3 price compared to here). I also have to add that none of them are sophisticated shooters, reloaders, etc... This is partly due to the fact that in a driven hunt, shots are usually within 40 yards, and therefore accuracy is not a huge deal.
in the 80s, the favorite weapon for boar was the good old shotgun equipped with Brenneke slugs. However, they are not nearly as good as a 9.3x74 because they tend to bounce off the tree trunks as well as off the boars skulls. Not a good behavior!

WC

Contact Us NitroExpress.com