Marrakai
(.416 member)
28/03/06 11:31 PM
Re: 577 Questions

Curl:
I am the third owner of that Greener .577. It was commissioned by Les O_ in Melbourne, who kept it for a year or two, and killed a buff or scrub bull or two with it. It was then offered for sale, and I nearly bought it but was on the trail of a Webley boxlock .577/75/650 so turned it down. It was then bought by Tim C_ in the UK. After another year or so, Tim needed to swap it for money, I had lost the deal on the Webley in the meantime, so back to Australia it came!

The work was originally done by Rolph Bachnik (not sure of spelling) who was Saunders' gunsmith at Century Arms/ London Guns. He is pretty good with the old pommie stuff, especially restoring/ rebuilding/ refaking! (Oops, typo, I meant remaking!) He built several of these Greener conversions, some were cape guns, all were successful. They are very professionally made, certainly not back-yard standard, mine even has a faceted diamond for a foresight bead! Rolph has his own shingle now since Century Arms closed, might be called Safari Arms IIRC.

My rifle has 22-inch barrels which are a little heavy at the muzzles. If I was to commission such a rifle myself, I would go for 24-inch tubes with much slimmer muzzles and try to get some weight back in the action. Not sure how to do this, I have even pondered glueing a lead-filled steel tube (or a depleted uranium rod!) into a hole bored centrally into the wrist from inside the stock-head. I know it is a simple matter to add lead or mercury reducers in a hole bored under the recoil pad, but that would kill the handling just as surely as heavy muzzles IMO.

I'm dribbling on again, sorry, but you will agree these things are important!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com