DarylS
(.700 member)
27/03/06 03:11 AM
Re: Proof loads

Right-on. I wasn't sure you had everything in perspective from the previous posting. I see you're in charge.
: My 7X57 and 6.5X55, of course, go past most max listed loads (except for Barnes data on XLC bullets), and the wildcats I shoot are probably all being loaded to well over 60,000PSI, in the 65,000PSI range as is normal for many modern rounds with both failry straight and sloping shoulders. The chronograph is an excellent instrument for weeding out the drop in efficency as max comes along. My Ruger 31 in .218Bee, .22 CZ Hornet, 6.5x55, 7X57 and .375/06IMP all give best accuracy when pushing the max pressure envelope, while others are happiest back a couple grains.
: Tight chambers with SAAMI necks usualy take top-end loads in stride.
: I like Barnes listed proceedure for finding max laods and an accuraate powder in one fell swoop. If you dont' have their handloading book, it is a good one for the library. They start with the low laod, and load one each with each increase from there by 1 gr. and shoot them as a group watching for pressure signs. The most accurate powder is the one used. This is a good method, as temperature fluctuations give varried velocities and vibrations and usually a given powder will show an overall better accuracy result. The powder that gives the best overall accuracy from start to max is the one used in load development.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com