Marrakai
(.416 member)
20/03/06 12:37 PM
Re: "The Sun shall never set on the British Empire!"

Guys:
I am a tiny bit suspicious of the .450 hammer-gun because of the longitudinal marks still visible from striking-up the barrels. That kind of lazy finish is not characteristic of Jeffery rifles! All nitro Jeffery rifles that I have examined, and I have seen a few!, were very well finished indeed. At the time, competition for market share amongst the top British rifle-builders (Jeffery, Westley-Richards, and the London firms) was very high according to published accounts, and I simply can't imagine a finish as rough as that being turned out on an engraved nitro gun. Admittedly the close-up photography will accentuate any imperfections, but to my mind that finish is not what I would expect.

Hey colorado, I simply can't agree with this!
In reply to:

There is NO slow down between hammerless and hammer gun cocking

I own several of either, in both rifles and shotguns, and simply can't imagine how you arrive at that opinion. A thousand gun-makers and their several million customers world-wide are all wrong? There is a very good reason why the entire world abandoned the hammer-gun a hundred years ago, despite the fact that they were the most elegant configuration ever designed, manifestly the safest, and the absolute pinnacle of the gunmakers' art: they were too slow!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com