CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/03/06 10:10 PM
Re: different techniques from bolt gun to double r

400NE has made a point that I have stressed to others (and to myself) with double rifles: how to place your finger on the trigger.

We who have a long history of shooting bolt rifles and pistols have always been taught to place only the finger tip on the trigger to have the best trigger control. You know the drill - this gives the greatest amount of "feel" to the shooter because it's where the tactile nerves are concentrated. We squeeze lightly on these finely tuned triggers. Our best accuracy results. We're proud and happy campers! That's all true for bolts and pistols.

It's all WRONG for DR's. You have to consciously break this fundamental rule. Put the trigger firmly in the first joint of your finger like you never heard of this rule. Grab it like a kid would do. Your DR will have a heavier trigger than your bolt gun or your M41 S&W. It needs to be heavier, partly for this very reason.

If you touch it "bolt and pistol" style, the recoil will cause you to lose your perch on the front trigger and strum the rear. I call it "harping" because it's like playing the strings of a harp. Your finger will slip off the front and touch the rear trigger, causing a double. I've had this happen with my .500NE, and the reason has always been finger placement on the front trigger as stated.

This is a learned habit. It's hard to break the long-ingrained habit of touching the trigger only with the tip of the finger. It goes against all we have been taught. You have to practice to "unlearn" the "bolt and pistol" style. This is the guaranteed cure to doubling.

By the way, the dreaded doubling of a large caliber double rifle isn't much to fear in terms of how it affects your shoulder. The few times I have doubled my .500NE I didn't even know it doubled. If you are otherwise holding the rifle properly it will just shove you a little harder. You won't end up in the hospital. Your rifle is your friend, and it won't hurt you. Don't fear it.

Having said that, you MUST learn how to shoot without doubling. The occurrence of a double in the face of dangerous game might get the shit stomped out of you for lack of a followup shot!

Just my $0.02 worth.

Best of luck,
Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com