tinker
(.416 member)
03/03/06 12:29 PM
Re: Long shotgun actions

Judson-

That's great!
I can't wait to see the style and pattern you work out for your rifle.
I'll stay tuned.

Marrakai-

I've gotten the Coggie and it's really in much better shape than I'd thought.
Very nice, actually. I'm still waiting on the arrival of the 12b 3-1/2" magnum barrels. In the meantime I've been reading up on the eight bore rifle.
I may well end up making a set of eight bore barrels for it too, I just need to first talk to some barrel makers here in the states. There was a man noted in a thread months ago on the topic of reboring double rifles, I'd contacted him and discussed the possibility of him making me a set of sixteen bore barrels for a hotrod long brass nitro 16b roundball gun I want to make.
I should track his info down and see if he's interested in doing eight bore barrels.
Ten drams of black powder amd small for eight bore standard roundball would be on the light end of the eight bore loads, and lots of fun to shoot without hammering me or the action to death.

Someone had noted in the double rifle measurements thread that they have a ten bore double rifle. I should contact them and see how thier action measures up against this C&H.
Although next to my Tolley it seems like a giant, I'm wondering how much bigger the 8b SxS rifle actions were (if at all) than 8b SxS shotgun actions.
I've seen 8b double rifles without any kind of third bite and really don't want to get into any kind of trouble as far as action strength goes...
A really big bore black powder roundball SxS rifle would be such a hoot though!
I'll hold you accountable if I end up folding to the absolutely impractical lure of building such a large bore rifle out of this thing.
That and I'll let you shoot it!

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com