Grizzly
(.333 member)
27/02/06 10:32 AM
Re: Loads for Curl's .300 Win. Mag. DR - a brain tease

My 2 cents.

The 300 WM is a very accurate generaly long range cartridge.

A double is a tool for shots under 100 yards as a rule.

At the shorter ranges, more lead is the rule.

I don't know if you have the data on how your rifle was regulated, but I would bet they did it with the heavies. You don't need a 180 or 190 grain boat tailed screamer with a high BC in a double rifle. In 300 WM, you want a rope shooter out to 100 yards or so that will generate the largest wound channel.

With shots over 100 yards, if what you are shooting at is going to try to kill you, you can, with practice, get at least 3 well aimed shots on your target. And if you were hunting something expecting a charge, you would load your magazine accordingly-180, 200, 220, 220.

They have turned your 300 into a true DR by regulating it with heavy bullets. Of course, as the 300 WM is still one of the more popular sniper calibers, perhaps there is a new market for double sniper rifles. But then we would to have a mag fed double. Actually, Rusty and I saw one at the Galazan booth at the Dallas show. Rusty handled it, I did not.

The maker of your double took a long range cartridge and gave you all of the advantages of the 300 WM for DR use.

I am new to the DR world, but am not new to the long range world. I shoot and reload for 50 BMG, 338 Lapua, but passed on the 408 Chevy Tac. At the 40 cal level, I found a wildcat round known as the 400 BAS, which is a "RUM type" version of the Chevy Tac - more powder capacity in the base and greater neck angles. Better powder burn and more cmpression in the case.

I believe I received the first off the line. With there being no line, we had to improvise somewhat. Now this round was designed by a benchrest shooter - a Champ. But I think I set him back when I insisted on a bipod.

He tested her on a 1000 yard range, using the bipod. 5 shots in under 2 minutes produced a tight group well under 8 inches.

The reason I digressed into long range was to emphasize the bigger at shorter theory. If I am shooting long range, I want the least weight bullet with the highest BC that I can put on the target.

IF range is not an issue, I care not about bullet weight, and at under 100 yards, care not about BC over 100 yards. As long as I can get a 220 grain bullet out at above 2500 fps, the rest will take care of itself.

My bet - if you used 200 grain bullets and targeted at 200 to 250 yards, you would get groups pretty close to your standard shots.

Powder is important. Slower burners fill the case. But you need to check outthe case design. Put a slow burning powder into a slight necked case and you will not burn all of the powder. The 300 WM is suitabe for the slower burning, but probably not the slowest burning.

Primers are critical. And expensive. I use only match primers in anything but 20 cal. The other exception to that rule is the semi auto.

Sorry to ramble, but I can't explain something like this without the big picture.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com