ChopperGuy
(.224 member)
27/02/06 03:10 AM
Re: Loads for Curl's .300 Win. Mag. DR - a brain t

I acquired my .30-06 Krieghoff Classic just in time to scope and try factory ammo in it before going to Africa last August 2005. No time to do any load development if I wanted to get ready and comfortable with my new rifle. Luckily the Rem 180 gr Swift A Frame loads regulated VERY WELL and I used this rifle to take a white springbuck at 210 meters among several other PG species. I was very pleased.

I got it home and decided I needed to load a heavier bullet for it so I tried the 220 Woodleighs. My intention is to use the heavier bullets pig hunting here and in the bush on our next Africa hunting trip.

The 220 load that I settled on shot with almost the exact spread and POI at under 100 yards as the Rem factory load 180s I had been using. I figure I have a great "heavy" load for the '06 double on shorter range hunting excursions.

Pure luck on my part. I've said a big thank you to the gun gods and will hope for such luck again when trying to load a lighter bullet for my 9.3x74R Krieghoff double. (Fat chance of lighting striking twice. )

Contact Us NitroExpress.com