JPK
(.375 member)
05/02/06 02:05 AM
Re: intercepting Sears

Intercepting sears have lttle direct impact on trigger pull. The intercepting sear for say the right barrel is not in contact with the hammer in normal use. It only comes in contact with the hammer if the primary sear has slipped due to a hard knock, etc.

The extension for the intercepting sear that contacts the trigger, or primary sear, I have been referring to it as a "shoe", for lack of a poroper name, must be moved when the trigger is pulled to rotate the intercepting sear out of the way so the hammer can fall. On the one gun of mine where I have removed the lock and played around with the intercepting sear it doesn't take much to move it.

If your rifle has intercepting sears, you may be more comfortable bringing the trigger pull weight required to trip the primary sear down lower. I am. On my double rifle I had the front trigger pull weight pulled down to 3 1/2lbs. This is something for a really good gunsmith/gunmaker to do. It is done by some combination of reducing the primary sear/hammer engagement, changing the angle of the primary sear/hammer engagement and fine polishing of the two surfaces. Done correctly, it does not make a primary sear more likely to trip by knocking or jarring or recoil - or so I have been told. Still, With the relatively light trigger pull, knowing that the rifle has intercpting sears is comforting.

FWIW, the the trigger pull on the left barrel, rear trigger, is 6lbs, IIRC. I can fire the left barrel first without the right barrel primary sear slipping, as it should be for any properly functioning DR.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com