JPK
(.375 member)
31/01/06 02:27 PM
Re: Test run

romojr,

Welcome to the forum!

The problem with shotgun recoil comparisons and rifle recoil comparisons is that you shoot you 3 1/2" 12ga loads at moving targets with all of your concentration on the target. So you don't notice the recoil much.

You shoot a rifle at a stationary target with lots of concentration on the sights. So you notice recoil alot.

On game you don't notice the recoil of the rifle much. but to get good with the rifle you have to shoot alot of paper targets, thats when you notice the recoil most.

If your 3 1/2" shotgun can shoot slugs - mine can't with the regular shotgun barrel, so says the manufacterer - or with another shotgun, try shooting the fastest, heaviest slug from a bench, trying to line up the bead as a sight. Or buy a box of the 3 1/2" HeavyShot goose ammo and try it. You will be on the bottom end of the recoil sensation.

I find my 12ga pump set up with a rifled barrel and a scope pretty unpleasant to shoot off of a bench. I prefer my double rifle in 458wm from a standing position to my pump from a bench. Good news is that once you get your double shooting right you don't really have to go back to the bench. Also good news is that you can build a tolerance for recoil.

None of the nitro express cartridges are going to hurt you if your form is halfway passing and the gun comes close to fitting you. Guys have been shooting them for more than a century and if they were that bad they wouldn't be so popular or so effective.

Hope you find someone who will let you shoot their rifle. Unfortunately, I live in Maryland.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com