romojr
(.224 member)
31/01/06 01:55 PM
Test run

Great forum. I'm somewhat new to the forum but a long time observer. Anyhow, there's no doubt about it that there is something sexy about owning a double, however, my dream double, a Westley Richards .470NE or .500NE is not an affordable option at this time. A Searcy is within my budget and it appears to be a good option for a working gun, which I will likely purchase as part of my battery for a trip to Africa in '08 or '09. That being said, I've never shot a .470 or .500 and was curious about recoil.

Let me put a disclaimer on my big bore experience. I have never shot anything above a .375 H&H but I can shoot it reliaby with no problems. The recoil energy of a .375 H&H is about 36 foot lbs. For comparison, I can shoot a 12 bore 3 1/2" all day long. A 12 bore with 3" has a recoil energy of 54 foot lbs.

I know a .375 H&H and a 12 bore are in a different class than a .470 or .500. Can someone share with me what to expect relative to recoil? Further, if there is any member on this site in Louisiana with a .470 or .500, how about a test run? I'll pay for the ammo, all expenses for having to bring me to the hospital and beers to relieve the pain thereafter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com