bonanza
(.400 member)
29/01/06 11:58 PM
Jeffery 450#2 intial report

I received the 1906 Jeffery 450 No. 2 Saturday morning. After a quick inspection at the gun shop I took it home for a closer look. On the surface it looks very good. The action has very little corrosion and minor wear marks, and as previously stated the guts have been reworked so I'll rate the action 85+%. The original wood is in excellent condition with light handling marks , 85+%. The original 1906 chopper lump barrels are very good to excellent with sharp rifling from the chamber to muzzle with only very light cordite frost and no burn at all. The exterior of the barrels are perfect. Despite the fact they had to be put back on face, I'd rate them 90%. The Belgium barrels are also chopper lump and are 100%. The ejectors seem to be a little wonky and fail to eject about half the time reverting to extraction. I spoke to the owner and he gave me a $1500 credit for this. I have yet to shoot the rifle but have “shot” it may times with the snap caps.

How much does one have to pay for a high grade pre-war custom cased two barrel 85+% Jeffery double rifle in a 450No.2 with 4 boxes of kynoch ammo, 4 boxes of brass, bullets, dies, kynoch snap caps and a well documented restoration from a man who is still alive? More than $17,000 I reckon. If someone can show me a better buy please do so, as I have until Monday to decide.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com