400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
21/01/06 04:55 AM
Re: Are Doubles just for DG?

In reply to:

"I haven't researched the provenance of my Lancaster. In fact, I don't know who has the Lancaster records. Maybe somebody can send me in the right direction. I too would like to know."

"I suspect the case is original to the rifle."

Uhhhh, Roscoe? Are you serious?

I am shocked, I say SHOCKED, that the owner of such an exceptional and rare example of British gunmaking art as "a hammerless 'B' Grade, body action (boxlock), non-fouling smooth oval bore, double-barrel non-ejector .280 rifle, No. 013487, built for Lord Charles FitzMaurice in 1912 by Charles Lancaster & Co." would NOT KNOW that said rifle was featured in a beautiful FULL PAGE color plate (captioned as preceeds in quotation) in a serious published work on the maker ("Atkin, Grant & Lang" by the late Don Masters; color plates between pages 100 and 101). I assume that the date and the customer's name came from the Lancaster records. Charles Lancaster & Co. was acquired by Grant & Lang in 1932 and a section of this book is devoted to them.

I didn't see mention of this specific rifle in the text, (I just thumbed it), but I instantly recognized your rifle in the color plates. I assumed you knew. Get yo butt to the bookstore boy.

The Lancaster records went to David Perkins of Charles Lancaster & Co., Ltd. The Firs, Bishopswood, Somerset TA20 3RU, in 1996. Tel/Fax 01460 234254.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com