DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
09/01/06 06:12 AM
Re: Questions about early Searcy double rifles?

In reply to:

I appreciate the replies, but I am not interested in a Merkle. I doubt I could get a used Merkle in the 5k price range. Some of the same issues(or non-issues) apply to both the Merkle and Searcy, ie: hardened "shotgun" actions used in the construction.

Lee440 , the Merkel is NOT made on a hardened shotgun action, PERIOD! All Merkel actions are hardened the same way, and are hard enough for the double rifle cartridges, they are chambered for, and stand up to bolt rifle rounds they are also chambered for! If anything the Merkel SHOTGUNS, are made on RIFLE actions! It makes no difference where a double rifle is made, or who makes it, all are built on hard enough actions! There is no difference in the design of a A&D action made for a double rifle from one made for a shotgun. In a factory where the same actions are used for all their double rifles, or shotguns, all a hardened the same way,to handle the highest pressures they will be subjected to, not re-hardened!

This rumor was started by poeple who had something they wanted to sell, and couldn't meet the lower price of the compition,of work done in a poor country, and it holds no water! Forums like these repeteing this misconception, does nothing to help.

You may buy what ever you want, it's your money, but if you are turning down a Merkel double rifle because of this rumor, you are doing yourself a disservice!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com