Grizzly
(.333 member)
22/12/05 11:58 AM
Re: For Peterb

Just my my opinion.

Yes, price range is near and dear to our hearts.

But I have been on a quest for functionality versus price. The exican Rigby" will be at least 20% more than the others. What is the sense in buying a name unless you can make a nice profit on it.

The ideal double has chopper lump barrels. Most of the newer versions are mono bloc. Many great rifles in mono bloc, but not the same fit as chopper lump.

Searcy makes all mono bloc, and chopper is a $4000 upgrade. That's right, $4000.

An "anti-doubling" device is a great feature. No two barrells at once. I don't mean to pick on Searcy, but that is an extra over $1000.

And a "Greener" lock is extra as well. The Greener provides a third "bite" on a double. And based on my research a third point of contact on a double is cheap insurance.

With all of that said, Searcy makes probably the best double righ now. It may be too heavy heavy, too ugly, or too American, but it is a shooter.

If you want a double that stays in the safe, there are a whole bunch of pretty double makers. If you want a shooter, do a functional comparison, and listen to people that use it in the field.

You will get many pros and cons. Common sense prevails. Think for yourself, and you will never be dissappointed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com