DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
22/12/05 04:08 AM
Re: Searcy , Merkle

In reply to:

DUGABOY1 - it looked like Butch's stock profile/style. If it didn't leave his shop like that, then someone did a damn good job of building a stock just like his!

new_guy, since I haven't seen the rifle in question, you could very well be correct, in your opinion! I simply may not be as picky about how a stock is fitted as you, since I base my taste in fitting on the lowly Westley Richards doubles that I collect. What I base my thinking the stock have been replaced by someone else is, the fact that the rifle is a right handed model, and the stock is a lefty wood!

All kidding asside, there was an early transition period where some of the stuff Butch sent out were a little rough, in spots. Sort of in the learning curve when changeing from conversions, to building doubles from scratch, and before CNC, to do the hog shapeing. This may be one of those very early transition rifles. All the draw-backs of those early rifles were cosmetic, in nature! The rifles were sound working rifles, however. Even his conversions, with the BSS action, were very strong, and there are examples that have had thousands on rounds of 470NE fired through them amd are still going. Still, in this case, I'd buy the Merkel, if the condition is as has been stated here on the Searcy. The Merkel may be a "OFF THE RACK" double rifle but both mine shoot as well, or better than some of the very well known names I have owned, and are solid. IMO, the MERKELS are value for money spent! Would I rather have a new PH Searcy, made to fit me? Certainly, I would, but that isn't what we are talking about here!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com