bulldog563
(.400 member)
17/12/05 09:17 AM
Re: Searcy double

I agree with you guys that the brit guns have better fit and finish but after all they should...They cost 4 times as much. The day I can afford a Holland Royal in a decent caliber or a Purdey or Richards I will get one but until then I will have my Searcy. I just think that it is very difficult to compare British DR's to American because they are like apples and oranges. Personally I think Searcy's are great and the reason they get labeled as "clubby" or "a block of wood" etc is because most of the Searcy's people see are examples from early in his career where they haven't eveloved to the point they are now. From what I have seen most of the people who have a newer Searcy don't want to sell it and the people with the older ones want to sell them to buy a new one. Granted I don't have nearly as much experience as most on this forum but I would much rather give my money to someone like Butch who stands behind his work 100%, Works out of my state, Is constantly improving his level of work and models in his line and builds one heck of a DR for the money. If you think they are too heavy or have too much wood there is no doubt that he would try to fix this for your rifle. I just don't see anywhere near his level of commitment in most all of the comparable companies. This is not to say I wouldn't give my money to the Brits but I would just have to give them so much more of it it doensn't make sense to me at the moment. By the way I think this is a great thread.

Edit;
Also don't get me wrong...I love british doubles and hopefully one day I can be fortunate enough to own one. Also I agree with you guys on most points I just think it is hard to compare the two fairly. A Holland is a Holland and a Searcy is a Searcy. Yes they are both doubles but they are completely different.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com