DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
08/12/05 01:55 AM
Re: SxS vs. O/U

In reply to:

what are good and bad points of one system compared to the other - SxS against O/U? By the way, I'm interested primarely in small/medium bores for European hunting, not big bore African rifles. Thank you for any input.

Welcome to the WACKY world of double rifles!

I think as long as you are mainly interested in small chamberings, then the O/U double rifle is probably a good choice! They are not only much cheaper to buy, but are easier to scope, a difinate plus on an 8mm rifle used for deer!

My personal choice is for a SxS no matter the chambering, or use it will be put to! Haveing said that, let me say this as well. I own, and have owned many more O/U double rifles, and I found them pleasent to use in most cases. I, however have not, and will not use an O/U double rifle for dangerous game! I know there are those who do just that, and more power to them if they get by with it!

In the first place, most O/Us have single, non-selective triggers, even in the big chamberings. This is a feature I will not have on a double used to keep a horn out of by butt. The whole idea of a double rifle is, it's absolute reliability, afforded by the fact that it is actually
"TWO" separate, and indipendant rifles on the same stock! The single trigger takes that advantage away, because if the trigger fails in any way, then you are left with a 10.5 lb club, instead of a double rifle. Addtionally if you get a mis-fire, on a double that is cocked, for the second shot, by the recoil of the first, the trigger will not fire the other barrel, without some, acrobatic like, manipulating to cock the other barrel, or to break the rifle and reload the bottom barrel, as it is the one fired first, on an O/U. It is also the hardest barrel to re-load! All this while a Cape Buffalo is trying to make wet bone meal out of you.

Most of this applies to a S/S as well if equipt with a single trigger. The other thing that is usual on a O/U rifle, is an automatic safety! This is a good feature on a rifle used for deer, because it protects other hunters,as well as yourself, and if you forget it, and miss a shot at a deer nothing of importance is lost. Conversly, in the heat of battle, you fire two shots, and break the rifle for reload, and slam the rifle shut, and forget the AUTO safety, the little time wasted trying to find out why your rifle won't fire again, may be all the time a lion needs to bite your face off!

Even if one has a double O/U rifle, that cocks both barrels, has a manual safety, and double triggers, and is chambered for a DG cartridge, you are still left with the very slow, and cumbersome re-load for the third, and fourth shots. That alone is reason enough to opt for the S/S where dangerous game are to be the target. With dangerous game YOU are the target as well, and it only matters who brings the most power to bear, in the shortest period of time as to who wins!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com