DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
15/11/05 11:02 AM
Re: "On Face?'

In reply to:

I do two things to check for this condition in top-lever guns. The first is to push the top-lever hard over with the thumb and hold it there, while supporting the barrels in the closed position. The tip of the index finger is then placed on the join of barrel and standing breech, and the barrels moved from side to side. This should probably then be repeated with the forend removed, taking care not to drop the barrels!

The second check is performed with the gun upside-down and horizontal with the forend removed. Holding the gun firmly by the wrist and/or buttstock with both hands, the top-lever is pushed hard-over, and the whole lot given a gentle shake from side to side.

If there is no movement detected during both these tests, IMHO the gun is tight and 'on the face'.

This assumes a visual inspection for shims and/or peening/squeezing first, of course.

The above is the most usefull and complete dirrection on this inspection. I find that Marrakai, is one of the two most well versed on double rifles, of anyone on the net, eventhough there are many,here, and on some other web-sites.

One more thing I think that has nothing dirrectly to do with a rifle being off face, but one that should be done at the same time as the off face inspection. This is to remove the barrels, completely, and holding the barrel set firmly in one hand, at the breach end, rap the muzzle end smartly on the heel of the other hand, or with a rubber mallet. If any viberation can be felt by the hand on the breach end of the barrels, then one should do a very extensive inspection of the rib areas, both top and bottom, to make sure there is no seperation from the barrels anyplace.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com