Judson
(.300 member)
04/11/05 10:52 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

Sorry that I have been away for a bit but it is deer season up here and the shop gets rather crazy this time of the year!!!
This is the front sight I made for the double and I will probably use this style for future doubles unless the customer wants some thing different. I think the sight is rather trouble free, nothing to get bent or broken like a flip up ivory bead or lost like interchangably sight blades.
All you do to go to the low light sight is pull the checkered steel slide (The arrow is pointing to the slide.) to the rear and rotate the sight 180 dgrees and let the slide snap forward to lock it in place. Now you have fiber optic, yes I know but it workes!! In reality I have to wonder why a person would ever use a sight that did not show up as well as possible. The flip up ivory bead would have been good any time so why not have it as a fixed sight. The only down side to this was that most low light sights were rather large and covered up alot of the target at longer ranges but it does make you think a bit. So do the folding leaf express sights where the 300 yard leaf is the forward one. It would have made more sence to have the longest sight plane for the greatest distance don't you think?
Well any way here is the sight if these pictures come up.

This is the sight reversed, it has a red fiber optic, sorry it does not show up too well in the picture.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com