Judson
(.300 member)
25/10/05 08:06 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

Once I had the forearm finally fitted and shaped it was time to sand it out. As with the butt I started with 120 grit and worked my way up to finner and finner paper. Once I am done with the 120 grit from here on I wet sand using mineral spirits as a wetting agent and most all sanding is done with all fittings in place. This will give you a perfect wood to metal fit and you do not end up with rounded edges or wood below the surface of the metal.
After I had finished with the wood it was time to get all the metal parts and the barrels ready for rust bluing. Most all doubles have to be rust blued, it is not just to give the metal that clasic look. Caustic hot blueing chemicals will eat lead based solder and if your rifle does not come out of the tank in pieces it may very soon end up that way.
To have rust bluing come out right it is best to sand all metal out to 320 or 400 grit. (Buffing wheels should never be used for polishing on a gun.) All file marks and scratches must be removed or they will show and like with the stock back the sand paper. Some people do not but here too I like to wet sand as the paper will last longer and not fill up as fast and also I think it gives a better finish. Just as all screws should be lined up North and South, ( so the slots run the length of the rifle), so should all sanding be done. The barrels should be sanded along their length along with any other pieces to be blued.
One other point about sanding along the length is that you will not have the sanding marks show as lines around the barrels. Come to think of it you really do not have much choice as to how you sand a double. All excess solder has to be removed from the seems as it will not blue and will look like hell. Here sand paper, dental picks and a sharp Exacto knofe all work well. One trick I have found is to use touch up blueing like 44/40 to check and see if any solder remains. Well enough for now, next I will try to explain how to protect the bores and also get the finish you want as far as what degree of shiny or satten

Contact Us NitroExpress.com