Judson
(.300 member)
23/10/05 09:08 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

One of the things I love about double rifles is the thump, thump when you drop the cartridges into the chambers! Another thing about doubles and cartridges like the .450 # 2 is up here in Maine lots of people, when they see the rifle and cartridge have to ask; "What in hell can you hunt with that!?" Usually I smile and reply; "Any thing any where in the world, even deer." The 30/30 croud usually shake their head and go away thinking I need a shrink.
Now back to the 450. The front sight on my 450 I made, I have seen the flip up ivory beads for low light condition and the sights with changable blades. I have also seen many of the flip up kind which were broken or been bent and few of the rifles with the inter changable sight blades seemed to bave both origional blades. To solve this potential problem I built my front sight a bit different.
On my sight, for normal conditions you have a steel sight blade with a brass insert. For low light, though not traditional, you have fiber optics. To change sight bladed you poll a spring loaded checkered steel button towards the rear of the rifle and rotate the blade 180 degrees. The button snaps into a detent so the sight can not move under recoil. If you people would like I will post some pictures of this sight as soon as I get them back.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com