Judson
(.300 member)
14/10/05 09:22 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

I am getting a bit ahead of my self. Before the barrels can be fitted to the mono block they have to be short chambered. Once they are soldered or threaded and soldered into the mono block the new extractor is made and the final chambering and head spacing is done. Once finished with this three wedges were made for this rifle. On this double I made the wedges slightly larger then the gaps between the barrels. One wedge was installed several inches in front of the forearm,(if all worked out well this would become the sling swivel) The next wedge about half way between the first and the muzzel and the third at the muzzel. These wedges could be driven along the tapper of the barrels to change the point of impact of the bullets during the regulating process. The barrels and wedges were held in place with hose clamps during the regulating and untill finally soldered into place.
Now the fun begins!!! Load up some ammo and get to shooting and regulating. I checked the barrels and set them up to the same point of aim with a bore sighter. Then I recorded this info in my note book. Then it was out to the range behind my shop and fire four shots, two from each barrel. If you do this make sure to mark each shot as to right or left barrel or else things will get confusing very fast! With this rifle the barrels were crossing at 50 yards, which I thought would happen. This would mean that the wedges would have to move to the rear to spread the barrels. I did not move all three though, only the front wedge. A little change in the position of the wedges is a big change of point of impact! I continued this process untill I was happy with the groups. I ended up with 1.25" difference between the left and right barrel at 50 yards, height is the same and I left well enough alone as that is slightly less then the center to center spread of the barrels. I have not tried the rifle at 100 yards but the gap should close and in theory be converging into one group. (All this sounds great on paper, we will see!)

This is during the regulating process and belive me, I am at full recoil, the rifle was on the sand bags! Really the rifle is nice to shoot, just a big push, not a jab. If you notice there is very little muzzel jump as there is very little drop in the stock. Again I am getting a bit ahead of the story since I had to make the stock before I could regulate the rifle but I am comming to that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com