Judson
(.300 member)
13/10/05 09:54 AM
Re: Building a double rifle

Well I was going to edit my last post and add a picture I had to go find, but I guess I will for go that and do another post.

The first thing I did after checking out the action as to it's strength was to strip it down and check it out internally. It had dog tooth tumblers. (This is the British way of saying that the firing pin is part of the hammers.) Since the 450 is very low pressure I elected not to go to bushed firing pins as chances of a blowen primer are not a concern at the 450s pressure. Next I looked at the barrels and found the mono block to be one piece of machined steel. I decided to use the origional mono block and again partly due to the low pressure, and also how thin the front edge of the mono block was to solder the barrels into the mono block as was done in years past instead of threading them. This was a comon practice and if all parts are tined first a good solder joint is almost assured. On the other hand the quarter rib was silver brazed into place this would make sure that nothing moved during the reheating and re soldering requiered during regulating. If this picture comes out it will show the 16 ga. apart and the origional barrels removed from the mono block. I will try to post another picture of the barrels fitted to the mono block on this same post it you will stick with me for a few.

this is after the barrels were fitted to the mono block but they have not yet been soldered into place.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com