Aloysius
(.224 member)
11/10/05 07:52 AM
Re: Your Double Rifle...

Tinker,

Thank you for your post and the thought and time put into it. Those are the types of stories I like to hear of. I believe a firearm is more than just metal, wood, and a collection of working parts. Its something that can represent time spent with the people you love, an object that brings you and others pleasure shooting, and something that be given to someone that can get the same thing out of it. When I take my grandfather's pistol out of my safe I can vivid remember him wrapping his arms around me, the smell of his pipe tobacco, and his work callused hands gently folding over mine, showing me how to properly hold it. I would live in a cardboard box before selling that pistol and its value to me is immeasurable.

500Nitro,

I used to be into toys (motorcycles, jetskis, etc.) but fell in love with having just one thing of incredible quality, that won't depreciate and that I can keep forever, or until given to someone in my family. I'd rather scrimp on the little things in order to have my DR, than waste money on things that will eventually lose my interest.

Dugaboy,

#1. I drive a Mazda MX-3 that I bought for $1500 cash. Earlier this year I sold my Dodge Ram Quad-Cab with a Hemi engine and do not miss the payments. I DO miss the truck, but not the payments or insurance premiums.

#2. My price range would go as high as $10k. It may sound funny but I can't see spending more than that even if I had it laying around. Right now my entire collection doesnt come quite close to that. I have a 12 gauge coach gun, Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt, satin nickel .50 DEP, Colt H-Bar, and the above mentioned target pistol. These just kind of hold me over until I can get my DR. During my marriage I sold about 20 assorted firearms because of incessant nagging and regret that decision to this day.

#3. I believe in the saying "you get what you pay for".
I know that with Searcy's reputation and $9,500 (plus extra for some engraving I want) that I will have a quality rifle that will last a long time. Though I've been to Africa, specifically Uganda, I really don't have a desire to hunt there. Though a .470 NE is more than what I need, its what I want and I'm willing to save, scrounge, and hustle to get it and I know that I won't regret a penny of it.

Clark7781,

It's my Catholic name, though I'm non-practicing, and even when I was little I always loved it. I guess you could say I find it elegant and like that way it rolls off the tongue. What is Preston & Child? With us being in the same range age its good to hear of someone having what they want and a happy family to boot. If I'm recalling correctly, isn't your Dad having a DR built, a .577?
You live real close to me, I live in Anne Arundel County, MD. Would you mind if I stop by the range when you guys shoot it for the first time and gawk?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com