Marrakai
(.416 member)
30/09/24 03:14 PM
Re: Case labels

John:
Since we both appear to have double guns retailed by my distant relative Peter Orr during the Raj,
and trade labels from P. Orr & Sons are rare as rocking-horse sh!t these days,
I offer the following rendition I composed many years ago using fonts and a crest from one of their period jeweler/watch-maker adverts:

Just recently I was graciously sent a few photos of an original P. Orr & Sons trade label from a case in which a Bernadelli shotgun was housed.
Had the gun been engraved with P.Orr as retailer I would have bought it, but had to settle for the pics.

This label is for a gun retailed in Burma, not India,
but a reshuffle of the retail outlets on a new rendition could swap Rangoon for Madras for an India-retailed gun.
Phone number would need to be changed too: I have the Madras number in my files somewhere.
Interesting that the Rangoon address is Phayre Street, when their jewelry and watch-making address was Sule Pagoda Road.
Perhaps they maintained a separate address for the sporting goods outlet, or perhaps they moved at some point, more research needed. Fun!
As an aside, I have been to the Sule Pagoda Road address in Yangon, Myanmar (Rangoon, Burma).
Unfortunately, it had been recently redeveloped by Rado in plate glass and shiny modern architecture.
I would have much preferred my "selfie" to have been standing in front of the old rustic shopfront!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com