mhb
(.275 member)
02/10/05 09:26 AM
Merkel .500 Observations, Continued.

Today (Saturday), I went back to the local range to continue testing my new Merkel. I wanted to chronograph the loads I originally put together, and just become more familiar with the rifle.
The weather was better today - not too hot, and the saber-toothed gnat season is finally over. So, I set up the chronograph (an Oehler 35-P), put a target out at 50 meters, carefully aligned the two for offhand shooting (as I still don't have a standing rest), loaded the rifle, assumed the position and took a six o'clock hold, and commenced fire, right and left in fairly short order. The shots struck at 7 o'clock, but 3 3/4" low, and touching each other. Only one velocity was recorded: the left (second) barrel, at 1932fps. O.K., I thought, offhand it obviously shoots to a slightly lower point than when the rifle was rested over the back of a chair, and the velocity is lower than A-Square's manual lead me to expect for that charge weight (109 grains of 4831). Let's try again. A second pair of cartridges went into the breeches, the stance was assumed, and a center hold taken on the black: Boom (Ouchandbadlanguage! I can't believe I did that stupid thumb trick AGAIN! But I had - and drew even more blood than the first time - bled like the proverbial stuck pig - only NOT on the rifle). Laid the rifle aside and found a clean cloth and a bandaid. This shot had struck the target at exactly the same windage, but at the bottom edge of the black - better. Fourth shot attempted after the customary short wait for the throbbing to moderate - same elevation but 4 inches right of last shot (at least I'm consistent when in pain). No velocity recorded for either shot in this pair - what to do? The logical thing (at the time) seemed obvious: instead of shooting as nearly through the middle of the sky screen windows as possible; raise the skyscreens so as to allow the bullet to pass nearer to them - surely they'll register that way. The adjustment was made and the alignment was checked carefully: looks O.K. to me! Load the third pair of rounds and assume the position: center hold and squeeze:Boom... the middle skyscreen immediately flopped over 90 degrees right and pieces of plastic flew in graceful arcs. More bad language, with not-unimaginative elaboration.
A survey of the wreckage revealed the sorry truth: I had set the skyscreens a tad TOO high - the bullet grazed the top of the front screen case, breaking the halves apart, and nose-dived into the middle screen case, shattering it, but missing the rear skyscreen altogether. Two side pieces and one top piece for the window frames also bit the bullet, so to speak (but were actually broken by the shock, not by the bullet or fragments). The bullet did NOT strike the target anywhere at all, and the chronograph was hors-de-combat (but the skyscreen guts appear to be O.K., so I'll order-up replacements Monday).
Altogether, this was enough adventure for one day, so I gathered up what remained and departed with what little dignity I could still muster (and a still throbbing thumb - even now, hours later).
Did I learn something from all this? You betcha. I STILL love this thing, but I'm definitely gonna get some kind of suitable rest before wasting any more time or ammo, or risking further destruction to my poor old Oehler, which had never been treated so badly in all these years.
Be sure to tune-in for the next thrilling adventure! Coming soon! I hope. Sigh.
mhb - Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com