sharps4590
(.333 member)
26/05/24 09:32 PM
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles

I have decades of experience with black powder, both muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles. I also have a couple decades working with double rifles, smokeless, BPCR and muzzleloaders. I had a Pedersoli M/L double in 50 cal. with the dorky two sights. I was bound and determined I could get it to regulate to one sight. Ha....ain't gonna happen with that rifle. A years worth of work and 3 custom bullet molds, in addition to round balls and the closest I got it was about 6 inches at 50 yards. It went down the road.

I have read the bigger bores shoot better.

I bought an 1850's, 56 cal., German, percussion double rifle that I expected to be an entire summer's project. 2nd load out of the gate it shot sub 3 inches at 50 yards. Actually, the composite group was closer to 2 inches but I never could get it below 2. The bores are frosty and have a little pitting but not bad for a 170+ year old muzzleloader. Stock and outside of the metal are extraordinary.

The Pedersoli was cheap, in more ways than one. I haven't paid over $4,000 for any of my 5 doubles but, it's been a few years since I bought one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com