NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/04/24 02:41 PM
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles

Gentlemen, thanks for those projectile suggestions.

Marrakai, I'll contact you directly for what propellant and grains you use. A good place to start, I should have some 350 gr Woodleighs. I assume they are the .450 NE bullets. I'll have a look at their catalogue.

My Baikal .45/70 is one of my cheaper DRs. Purchased second hand $800 as the opportunity presented.

I originally had the concept of using it as a "truck gun". A rifle that could live in the ute behind the seats. As in the old days. However the modern restrictive legal requirements don't permit this. On the farm I don't have anything bigger than kangaroos. It can still do this when on "Aussie safari". Other uses can be as a "loaner" dr for visitors. And I am thinking of incorporating mine in my "Howdah shooting scenario" target shoot.

I also bought mine simply to give a Baikal a try.

At any rate a Baikal .45/70 dr can be a fun cheaper dr to shoot.

The Baikal side by side double rifles performed as a very cheap entry (below entry IMO) DR option for many shooters dreaming of owning a double rifle. Unfortunately I believe many would have been dissatisfied with the reality of a Baikal.

One because of its nature. Chunky. Cheap. Heavy.

Two. Reports people simply couldn't get them to regulate (?). User lack of knowledge and experience? Or the reality? I don't know, I've never shot mine !!!

The Baikal is another separated barrels DR. With adjustable wedges allowing in theory self regulation.

Currently mine is a working servant girl "Safe Queen". I'm going to see if "safe" .45/70 ammo can be sourced, and can be used and give it a simple first go. Then look at reloading, adjusting the barrels if needed.

Hopefully will work well enough for the purpose.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com