NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/04/24 02:16 PM
Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing

Quote:

Im glad to see we are discussing this as opposed to arguing.

Yes. And NE requires it.

Quote:

I think we can agree (edit, remove: "Traditional") regulation is best.

I've corrected this statement. "A double rifle regulated is best".

Quote:

The quest then becomes what other options are acceptable.

I've asked experienced gun makers to comment. IMO It's pretty obvious. Two options exist. Fixed rib barrels, soldered after test shooting and aligning a good parallel POI at a given distance. Secondly a cheaper option is non fixed barrels with adjustable "wedges". Options such as a rubber "rib" can improve the appearance at a distance.

Quote:

I for one would rather have a dremeled regulation that works instead of a Biakal "jack screw"; but I suppose thats a personal question. Its all a matter of "if it works".

A muzzle butchered dr is a POS. You claimed you "never test shot yours to see if it even regulated".

It is a personal question, between functioning double rifles that fire reasonably regulated point of impacts. And cheap arse twin barrelled rifled shooting anywhere. Useless. And either are sold off to the next poor sod or someone goes to the expense of separating the barrels, test shooting until regulation POIs are achieved and then resoldering the rib.

Quote:

I had a Baikal. It worked but it just didnt feel right to me as I was wanting a traditional (read that as expensive) (EDIT: read as actually regulated) DR. Somehow I didnt mind the Valmet version, lets call that me being a gun snob. Honestly I was thrilled about the gap between the Valmet barrels; but I did note that Valmet made a "spacer" that filled the gap. More to the point I could never really love the Biakals. I always looked at them as a AK to be used in the worst conditions.

Baikals are quite aweful. But I still have one. Marrakai has one. Mine cost $800 second hand. Very hard to find any DR at any condition at that price. I imagined mine as some sort of "truck gun" when buying it. Not really possible in this over regulated times. And I don't have feral pigs or similar running around my farm. A truck gun here is a shotgun or .22.

The Valmets can do the job. There can be issues I'll detail in the "cheap or affordable dr" thread. Including the rubber "rubs". I've got a Tikka/Valmet as well.

Quote:

I cant say about shotgun regulation. I have had SxS's that shoot slugs almost to point of aim and a single shot that couldnt hit a target at 25 yards. I have a 20ga SxS that I jokingly refer to as a Paradox because its a spot on slug shooter out to 50m, even though its a smooth bore. I invested in two laser bore sighters to to adjust the express sights that I had a gunsmith add. Its a Hog Slayer for sure. No dougbt its a lucky fluke; but Im happy with the results.

So you did test shoot your shotguns for how slugs regulated for common POI.

It's good when things work.

We aren't going to agree. But this is a serious DR forum. In the absence of any verified evidence of the muzzle ground butchering working, we'll assume it doesn't. Or a reputable gunmakers/gunsmith responding to the contrary.

Traditional regulation of DR barrels we'll assume means a fixed rib after test shooting and adjusting the barrels for a common POI.

Non traditional regulation is the same method with self adjustable separated barrels.

Time to close off this thread, its going in repetitive circles.

Thanks for the discussion.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com