3DogMike
(.400 member)
02/04/24 02:58 AM
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles

I suppose most guys (USA at any rate) would consider a Sabatti or Baikal as the benchmark for"cheaper"?

Now I have never owned or shot a Baikal (Remington), but I do have a Sabatti in 9.3x74R that is perfectly functional and groups nicely.
Circa 2” or less right/left hand loads at 50 yards with iron sights. The single trigger does not bother me a bit. I did replace the cheesy Sabatti recoil pad with a Pachmayer which gained me a welcome extra 1/2” length of pull.
This one is NOT one of the Cabela's rifles and does NOT have the ground muzzles.

This having been said, the stock fit to the action was sloppy, so it was glass bedded to make sure nothing was going to split.
The chambers are kind of an "odd" oversized rendition of 9.3x74R; different shoulder datum, almost an "improved" shape, etc. No problem if one does not reload. If you were to reload in standard 9.3x74 dies the case life would be pretty poor due to excessive sizing back to normal CIP dimensions. I was lucky enough to score a used set of RCBS custom dies to the Sabatti version of the chamber so reloading is no problem.

IMO a perfectly nice rifle for every day "rough hunting" where you would hate to bang up a nice higher grade modern or vintage rifle.

- Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com