mhb
(.275 member)
27/09/05 10:40 AM
For MauserRifle

I'm glad you found my experiences of some interest. I think I said all I can say about the fit, finish and quality of the Merkel when I characterized it as 'workmanlike' - this is about as close as I can come to wild hyperbole in complimenting anyone's rifle as a mechanical/craftsmanship product. The standard-model Merkel is not built for the carriage trade, but for honest use, and no amount of prettying-up the finish would make it a better rifle in those terms. As a barrel maker and riflesmith, I approve of the Merkel (with the single proviso that I do not believe it is acceptable to deviate from the industry standard in bore and groove diameters, and, as I noted, the Merkel's grooves are larger than that standard - in fact, common European practice notwithstanding, I can think of no valid reason for the modern barrel maker to make any barrel with groove diameter larger than the standard projectile) - but, in this case, so long as the rifle regulates and groups well, I'll live with it. I will continue to share my findings as I shoot the Merkel in future.
As to my feelings on comparably priced doubles: I am not entitled to an opinion, having had none to evaluate - but... after talking with Searcy , I think it likely that, had I not gotten the Merkel, I'd have had them build one for me.
Still, based on my experience so far, I can and do recommend the Merkel wholeheartedly - I do not think you would be disappointed.
mhb - Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com