Rodd
(.224 member)
26/12/23 06:05 PM
Re: Westley Richards Single Select Trigger - Big Bore Rifles?

Sutherland was certainly the biggest single trigger user. WR single trigger are mechanically simple but quite ingenious in construction and are not inertia triggers requiring recoil for the second shot, like most modern shotguns or rifles.

Pulling the trigger twice on an empty gun will trigger both hammers in rapid succession. Even a dud will allow firing the second shot. As with all mechanical things, neglect could even render a best London sidelock double trigger into a single shot or worst.

I believe vintage WR single trigger were found mostly on droplocks and were “selective” single triggers, allowing selection of right – left and vice versa. Coupled to the only action regularly supplied with spare locks allowing simple tool less, metal to metal, lock removal and maintenance, I would not hesitate

My 476 droplock selective single trigger ejector was described by its previous owner a his “favorite double rifle”, despite his extensive DR collection and safari usage over the years.

This single trigger 476 was the center piece of his book “Safari”, bagged the big five except leopard and never missed a beat in his hands, nor today after 112 years of service.

Only double triggers on my other best British vintage DR. Sutherland and Keith as happy users, I would choose a single selective trigger only an a WR, they are iconic and work every time. Way to go WR.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com