NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/11/23 03:16 PM
Re: Ludwig Borovnik double express in .460 Weatherby Mag

Quote:

John,
Force = Pressure x Area therefore a similar pressure with a bigger area has more force and a 460 Weatherby has a much bigger area at the head than a 30-06, and consequently much more force on the action face.

Yes. A very large cartridge with the same pressure has far more force on the head than a smaller cartridge of the same pressure.

Far less importance for a large lower pressure cartridge,

What the average bolt action shooter doesn't factor in, is the weaker locking up action of a break open action. I mentioned purposefully a number of times, a "chambering in a break open action".

I didn't want to be overall critical of a rifle it's owner was excited about, having commissioned it. I note he does oen a .460 Wby Mag bolt action already. But I felt like saying, how times firing it, before it's off face?

Other than getting a cartridge in a DR the same as an existing bolt action my question is why? Much better other optíons.

Quote:

This is exactly why the 9.3x74R is by far the most common chambering for double rifles of all persuasions where as the 9.3x62 is almost never chambered in doubles. Basically the same velocity but much lower pressure of the 9.3x74R due to the longer less efficient case. Consequently much less stress on the junction of the action face and also on the hinge pin.

Slightly less velocity, maybe 250 fps or so, so there is a difference. But the 9.3x74R does well anyway. Very adequate for running boar. I've shot fourteen water buffalo with one, so it works. No big buff bulls though with it yet.

I used a Heym U/O DR 9.3x62 at the Heym International Challenge to shoot some balloons in the competition. Only one trigger which I don't like, mine doubled on me, one trigger, so not me for once! They swapped mine for another one then. What I did like about it was the $4,000 price tag at the time.

Yes the 9.3x62 does have more pressure and force on the face.

Quote:

The 460 Weatherby would probably be the worst choice of cartridge for a double. The gunmakers in Ferlach make all sorts of dumb arsed guns, mainly for Ultra rich Russians and Arabs. Neither of which rarely go actual hunting and neither of which can shoot. Most of these bullshit guns will never be fired. The same companies also make DG Double rifles with no checkering so that it doesn't interfere with the look of the grain in the stock???? Wanker guns made for wankers. Matt.

Some maybe should be more discerning in what orders they accept. Those over decorative, over engraved, excessive gold and carved monstrosities are bad enough, without silly chamberings. JMO.

Thanks for the "force" comments.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com