grandveneur
(.400 member)
09/10/23 11:13 PM
Re: Caliber for all-round double rifle

Quote:

I am planning the purchase of my first double rifle, and intend to use it for all my hunting. I am thinking of a Krieghoff Classic, and will mount a Zeiss Varipoint 1,5-6x42 on it. Wide field of view at short range and can also be used at long range and in low light.
I would prefer to have the .375 Flanged N.E. as this seems to be a very good all-round calibre, and also suitable for buffalo. However, the scope will bring the weight up to appr. 4,9 kg. (10,8 pounds), which may be a bit heavy for a medium bore ? The 9,3X74R with scope weigh in at 4,3 kg (9,5 pounds.) and the calibre seems to be close in performance (although probably not suitable for buffalo). Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated!

That's also a very good question, whereby you have to define what is meant by all-round DR.

Anyone who wants to hunt big game in Africa should think about something bigger than caliber 375, and anyone who thinks about elephants should think about something even bigger. A DR caliber 450 or 470 Nitro Express seem to me to be the best all-round double rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com