CJF
(.300 member)
19/09/23 09:33 AM
Re: John Dickson 500 BPE hammer gun

I picked up this rifle and the horn butt plate repair was a success. Also laid in a supply of 120 500 3" cases for the Dickson and the Woodward so I don't run into the issue I was having with the 450 where I couldn't find brass (I am very grateful for the help Bwanabobftw gave me there!)

A range trip is in the future, behind some other projects. I'm trying to find an accurate load to use in my takedown AH single for a shoot in mid-October and have just finished loading a few different 360 BPE loads (all nitro for black). This supply will also support taking the recently repaired early GE Lewis 360 park rifle out for it's first outing with me (that one was described in a different thread...basically a neat gun with loose ribs which have since been relayed (sp?)

I will also be trying the 450 BPE load that worked well in my Reilly in a new-to-me Dickson 450 double. That rifle isn't as nice as this 500 BPE first quality gun, as it is a 2nd quality rifle with many more trips to the field than the 500. A third double will be on this outing as well -- a very good condition 3rd quality Alexander Henry double in 450 BPE. Metal is very very nice. Wood has some bumps but also nice, with attractive grain for a plain gun. More on these later. My intent is to get working loads for two of these three 450s done by November's deer season, when I'm heading north to Minnesota to hunt with a friend (who will be using one my doubles as well.)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com