NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/08/23 12:01 AM
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE?

Quote:

From a historical viewpoint, these theoretical discussions might give an idea what else might have been used. In addition to these very cool double barrelled howdah tiger defence pistols which seem to have had a very specific purpose. Other more usual firearms used for the purpose might have faded into obscurity. The side by side breech loading howdah pistol IMO owes its origins to the earlier muzzle loading howdah pistols. Two barrels being better for tiger than one! With breech loading firearms, breech loading DRs, shotguns might have been used. I am pretty sure the British officers, colonial officials, and Indian gentlemen hunting might have used the very common .455 Webley revolvers as well. All of these common firearms if used as howdah defence weapons would have faded into historical obscurity.

A question, not wanting to go off topic. Remember to answer the original opening posts if you can.

Can anyone supply historical references to elephant howdah defense stories, books, articles? I'm sure I've read at least one. But I forget everything other than they squirmed backwards to escape the tigers slashing and grasping claws. I don't remember if the mahout survived unscathed, if a firearm was used etc. Very exciting and dramatic event no doubt.

How common were these instances? Rare or not?

A collection of historical references would be very cool and revealing.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com