HeymSR20
(.300 member)
25/05/23 04:03 AM
Re: Custodian or Owner, vintage guns ?

I very much think we are custodians, but part of being the custodian is to use the guns for what they are intended and to add to their adventures. Part of this does mean ongoing care and maintenance, and keeping them usable. But there is a fine line between keeping usable and wrecking a perfectly good gun. I really don’t mind a well done stock extension, or a neatly added cheek piece to allow a scope to be used. If a stock is brocken I see no issue with a good repair. I would far rather this, than a complete restock.

But there does come a time when a gun, a car or a boat needs a complete rebuild. The ideal candidates are the old gun whose barrels are dangerously thin, pitted etc. A decent sleeving or indeed new barrels, potentially new wood and a freshen up of the action to a new state thats allows another 100 plus year is the right thing to do.

What is wrong is to take a perfectly functional gun in good solid working condition, pretty it up and then leave it to be a safe queen. At least as a wall hanger an old gun has some dignity.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com