CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
15/09/05 12:48 PM
Re: First Double Rifle - Where do I start?

I agree that a 9.3x74R would be a dandy.

I qualify that statement by saying that I think that caliber for use in North America is a reloading proposition. At least here in the eastern US you won't find those cartridges on the shelf of your local sporting goods store.

I have had several 9.3's, and I have shot hundreds of rounds through them. I think I have shot a total of 10 rounds of factory ammo in 9.3 in my whole life. Those 10 rounds came in a gun trade with my second 9.3.

No worry. I have been reloading since age 13. I don't shoot factory ammo in any caliber. Having said that, I will state seriously that shooting a double rifle requires the skill of tayloring your ammunition to that specific rifle. I think this is true even if your DR is chambered for a common cartridge such as .30/06. If you aren't into reloading, I suggest you stay with bolt guns.

Beyond that, the question of what would be a good start on a double rifle is wide open. I can tell you that my first DR was a really nice German boxlock (pre-WWI) chambered in 8x57JR. When I got it (about 1982) I had to really scrounge for bullets in .318". Now those bullets are no problem. The world is much kinder to DR's now than it was in 1982. For example, in 1982 it was almost impossible to find components for the 9.3x74R in the continental US. Now, no problem at all.

In the final analysis, my point is that only you can pick the right caliber for your needs, and only you can pic the right double rifle for your budget, sensibilities, and expected uses.

By all means, go for it!

Regards,
Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com