FlatTop45
(.300 member)
07/01/23 01:10 PM
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, many double guns both past and present had/have exposed hammers and lots of people like them. (I know I do!) Over the years, plenty of game has been bagged with them and many dangerous animals have been dealt with. Sure, the protruding hammers caused some issues and while I agree, they are not as practical as more modern designs, they have served, and continue to serve, hunters well...

Of course, this gun does not have exposed hammers. The "buffalo horns" on this rifle are a little farther forward and protrude out the sides a good bit more that the hammers on a typical double gun. I agree that they will most likely increase their "hooking" ability and while well executed, I personally feel they detract from the overall lines of the gun. I mean, we've all seen rifles encrusted with gold and engraving and what-have-you. Their beauty is in the eye of the beholder and may or not be to our individual taste. However, with the addition of extensive, heavy engraving and those horns on top of the receiver, this particular rifle reminds me of those overly ornate flintlocks and wheel-locks used by long-dead, European noblemen for the grand driven-hunts of the past. You know, the ones with sculpted stocks and metal work with hammers and trigger guards shaped like medieval dragons and dolphins and griffons ("Oh My!"). They were never made to be practical, only to show status and wealth.

Beautiful works of art, maybe... Guns to take hunting, no.

Also, I wish they had provided a photo of the sight picture because it appears to me the opening slot between the horns is a good bit narrower than the width of the rib and the express sights. So, I'm wondering what those horns do to the sight picture. Maybe they are lower than they appear and far enough back so they do not interfere with it, but I don't think so. I think it's just a wider and fancier version of "Buckhorn Sights", the type developed during the 1800's and used on muzzleloaders and other rifles like the Henry and Winchester lever guns. Supposedly, they were designed to increase accuracy by bracketing the target. However, the biggest complaint about those sights is that the "ears" (horns) on the the rear assembly covers too much of the target and restricts the field of view. I wonder how much is obscured by the setup on this Rigby and how strange it appears...

Maybe like trying to sight through a slingshot (catapult or peashooter)???

Doesn't really matter though as I don't expect this rifle will ever see Africa or any of the lands where dangerous game still roams free...

It'll probably spend it's days in the dark, in a vault, safely ensconced on it's throne, as befitting a "Safe Queen".

J

Contact Us NitroExpress.com