FlatTop45
(.300 member)
01/12/22 11:54 AM
Re: Double Gun Journal - RIP

Great magazine. Lots of really nice photos. More like a soft cover book than a typical magazine. Although most of the Double Gun Journal concerned shotguns, they did put out good articles on double rifles and single shots from time to time.

I've always liked the way DGJ featured vintage firearms and their histories and so I have accumulated a number of different issues over the past 25 years or so. Back when I started buying them, I believe I paid $12.99 (US) per issue at retail bookstores like Barnes and Noble. At that time, most gun magazines cost like $5, so comparably, DGJ was pretty expensive. However, most of the those I have collected over the years are older issues that I found in second-hand bookstores and I paid about $3 to $5 a piece for them. Luckily for me, people usually take pretty good care of DGJ issues and just about every used copy I've purchased has been in excellent shape. So, whenever I come across an issue I don't have, I'll pick it up as long as the price is right.

I too am sad to see it go. I doubt we'll ever see a magazine like it again. I mean, I realize everything is going digital these days, but curling up next to a warm fire on a quiet evening with a good "laptop", "iPad"or "Nook Book" just isn't the same thing to me...

J

Contact Us NitroExpress.com