NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/09/22 07:43 PM
Re: Red Dot Sights

Perhaps prompted by my mention of the "Outpost" military "red dot ∆" sight. Which turns out to be actually a 4x scope. I was meaning really 1x red dot or v dot sight not a scope. When getting to scopes all sorts of reticles, illuminated reticles are possible.

The Trijicon 1-4x reticle isn't bad. I don't know if I would choose that reticle or another.

At first thought Trijicon was still only those aweful accupoint scopes. Cheap looking, ugly. And the useless tritium and daylight unpowered illuminated scopes. "Automatic" light intensity setting which is dim in the dark, and washes out in daylight.

BUT due to better examples by other makers I see they now offer a battery accupower version. Which has some good points. Set your intensity. And each half setting is an off. Half a click to turn off or in, not 12 clicks! Excellent.

At US$700 for a 1-4x I might put one on my Valmet 12b/7x65R. Or .30-06 or 9.3x74R Valmet U/O barrels. But way too fugly for a good double rifle. But I would consider other reticles. For the Valmet combination shotgun rifle barrels in 12b and 7x65R or .223, the 1x scope reticle needs to work well for the shotgun. And on 1x or 4x work well for the rifle barrel. 4x is OK for the 7x65R. 8x is better for a .223.

A 1-4x scope is fine for a 9.3x74R U/O. OK for a .30-06 U/O as well.

For a side by side I would look more for a RMR type dot with a V dot. The RMR with the battery underneath is a huge negative. I believe Doktor or similar has the battery changeable from on top. Imagine having to unscrew from a dovetail to change the battery and then possibly have to resight it in again.

As I said why are only DOTs offered? An inverted V or triangle allows accurate aiming on the point.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com