AR2201
(.275 member)
04/09/05 08:10 PM
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan?

Virgillinus

Availability of suitable ammo over the couter is an important consideration when obtaining any gun.

Among the attractions of the 45/90 rechambering is the alteration is so minimal you could still fire 45/70 ammo in the rechambered gun with confidence.

So what do you hazard? perhaps too much freebore may bother some of the stumpier projectiles, perhaps not, many of the bigger NE camberings have very long throats, this was supposed to flatten out the pressure spike.

What caught my eye was the inconsistency of an action that on the one hand is available chambered for the 30-06 (SAAMI pressure 50,000 CUP), but, on the other specifically noted as being held to SAAMI for the 45/70 ie. trapdoor springfield levels (28,000 CUP).

Are they just big girl's blouses covering their arses or is there something behind it?

If there is then having the extra powder capacity of the 45/90 would mean you could match the full potential of the 45/70 without popping any rivets.

If there isn't, then you have a 45/90 to load up to 1895 Marlin levels and still be leaving yourself a chunky 10+% margin from the 30-06 intensity which they are backing in the self same action.

AR2201

PS. I am an inverterate tinkerer, being able to re-regulate to suit differing loads is a definite plus.

I note that, elsewhere on this forum, the Tikka while being bagged for being an U/O is most definitely not bagged in regard its regulation system and accuracy.

That's a point how many doubles are available with inbuilt re-regulation mechanisms?

The Tikka/Vamet and now the Artemida, what others?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com