N320AW
(.224 member)
28/08/05 02:00 PM
A love letter to a Holland double .500/.450. Wow!

I have been in love with the following quote since 1994 when I first read it in Peter Capstick's biography of John Taylor, " A Man Called Lion." For those who arn't familiar with it. . . here's a brief background.

C. Fletcher Jamison, a Rhodesian professional hunter in the 1930's & 40's, was a friend of Taylor. He supplied the photos for Taylor's " African Rifles & Cartridges." Because of a wrist/hand deformity Jamison sometimes had a spot of bother in handling his Holland double. . . especially when excess pressure caused the action to be strained and difficult to open. After years of service he finally disposed of the Holland and purchased a Jeffrey .500 magazine. Behind the butt-plate of the Holland he placed the following letter. . which was not found until more than 60 years had elapsed. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Zambezi Valley, 14th July 1934

This rifle, No. 17892 .500/.450 has been one of my best friends. She has pulled me through many an encounter with Elephants, Rhino & Buffalo. She is one of the most accurate rifles in the world & since being in my hands has achieved a very fine record. I am positive that as far as her record is concerned she is second to none. I have shot with her the following species of animals: Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Hippo, Leopard, Eland, Roan, Impala, Warthog, Bush-Pig, Crocodiles, Snakes, Hartebeast[sic], Baboons, Duiker & Bush-Buck. But I have used her mostly for Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo & Hippo, & find she is all that one could ask for.

My battery of rifles consists of one Double barrel .577 Express, one D.B. .500/.450 Express, one 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, & a .25/.20 Winchester. This I consider as the most efficient battery of rifles any Big Game Hunter could wish for.

Whoever may be the proud possessor of this rifle after I am finished with it please treasure it for my sake.

C. Fletcher Jamison, Big Game Hunter

Contact Us NitroExpress.com