CJF
(.300 member)
22/03/22 01:41 PM
Re: EM Reilly 450 Express

Beautiful day here in North Carolina. Took both the Reilly 450 BPE and Dickson 500 3" BPE to the range about 45 minutes before sunset to try out loads for each.

The good news is that the range was empty and I could use the most convenient berm for this kind of testing.

After a few minutes setting up, ran four careful shots through the Reilly, standing, leaning with elbows on the shooting bench. Light was good (which is important as my eyes don't see irons like they used to) and results, at least for the Reilly, made me really happy. The first R and L shots were vertically separated by 1.5". The 2nd R was touching the 1st L, and the 2nd L was 1/2" away from the 2nd R.

Here are both rifles:

Just the Dickson (which has non-rebounding hammers)

And finally the 500 target, which was nowhere near as good as the 450, but better than the last outing. For what it's worth, I can shoot better than this.

Both loads were slightly different than what I'd tried before because they included lube cookies made of 1/2 beeswax, 1/2 crisco.

I'm curious why both guns are shooting high and right. Could be flinching. Or possibly a ramification of shooting with elbows from bench vs standing unsupported. Will continue to experiment.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com